Sunday, May 6, 2012

"Are you sure that's a real spell? Well, it's not very good is it?

I've tried a few simple spells myself and they've all worked for me. Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, it's the best school of witchcraft there is I've heard - I've learned all the course books by heart of course. I just hope it will be enough – I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?"

I’m Deanna, and I’m starting this space as part of a creative project for my women and gender studies class, but I hope for it to grow beyond a simple class project! I really love fantasy for so many reasons – the unique mythologies, the world building, the epic journeys - and I especially love the smart, strong, and inspiring women that live and navigate these unknown worlds. But in a space where there are no limitations, I find it problematic that many of these characters are held back by the same oppressive forces that limit women in the real world - the same antiquated gender roles, constrictions of femininity, racism, and classicism. It is written into the worlds we create, in ways that both confront this oppression, and unfortunately, tolerate and enables it. I want to talk about it! Talk about what works and what doesn’t, what subverts stereotypes and what perpetuates them. I want to talk about all the ladies writing speculative fiction, and the ladies that they create, and maybe some of the guys too. Some upcoming topics: Hunger Games (so hot right now, and rightly so, Katniss is one cool lady), The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (which is fantastic and you should read right away because you will love it), and Harry Potter (I have a love feeling for Hermione, obviously). First, I am going to post my explanatory paper on my creative project, to explain my intentions and goals in creating this space. Hopefully, it won't be too boring or pretentious. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment